Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nanoporous biomaterials
Hi again, I have additional question about <b>Nanoporous Biomaterials</b>.
Can anyone help me to identify current applications of nanoporous materials in the biomaterials sector. I am interested to know which materials are being used in each application also.

Thank you again in advance,

Simon [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
hi simon and welcome to the forum.

there is very little on the internet that refers to "Nanoporous Biomaterials".

You might like to search using a different phrase such as "porous biomaterials". Most of them will be in the "nano" range I am guessing.

I found one article (from a master's project) that might help you get started. Here is a link to it:

http://www.ibg.uu.se/static/exjobb/99/99007.pdf

And here is the abstract:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE<!--quotec-->
<b>Preparation and characterisation of porous
silicon surfaces for biomaterial applications</b>

by MARIA SCHULTZBERG
ISSN 1401-2138

<b>Abstract</b>
A porous silicon surface was prepared and characterised with the aim to better understand the role of porosity for biocompatibility and the mechanisms of cell and protein interactions with porous materials.

Spectroscopic ellipsometry was used to model the microstructure of the surfaces as well as the water- and protein adsorption into them. The results show that porous silicon can be produced by electrochemical etching on the nanometre scale, within the frames of dimension restrictions for biomaterial applications. Oxidation in ozone rendered the surfaces hydrophilic, which enabled the penetration of aqeous solutions. HSA and Fibrinogen, which were used as model proteins to study the protein adsorption showed different adsorption patterns. Fibroblasts grown on porous as well as smooth silicon surfaces showed an activated morphology. The surfaces did not induce a strong neutrophil activation.

<b>Keywords:</b> porous silicon, microstructure, spectroscopic ellipsometry, biomaterials,
biocompatibility, protein adsorption, neutrophils, fibroblasts

<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->